Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two Year Anniversary: Lessons Learned From Working for the Man…

Two years ago today I donned my J-Murphs and entered the working world. After 2 trips around the sun, this is what I’ve learned.

Don’t waste time waiting for change. Your company, your job, your coworkers, your cubicle will not change buy wishing. Newton’s “bodies at rest” philosophy is true even in corporate America.



Get out there and DO something.

Life rewards those who dare to swim against the current. Columbus left Spain. Gates left Harvard. Clooney left ER. Can you name one person who achieved overwhelming happiness, freedom, and success by sticking to the status quo? Ask yourself this: Will continuing what I’m doing today actually make me happy tomorrow?


There are those who will never understand you. I cannot understand for the life of me why some coworkers spend 40 years in the same cubicle doing the same job. Chalk it up to generational gaps. I see it as unmotivated, they see it as stable. They have the peace sign, we
chuck-the-deuce. Learning how to work with dissimilar people is a challenge but a critical life skill. So be polite, patient and when in doubt

Money is nothing. When you die, your bank account won’t matter. If you take a job for money, you are giving your life away. I guarantee that you can monetize a passion, no matter how
obscure. So don’t be afraid to do what you love.


Failure is GREAT. By failing we learn. We are challenged. We are tested. No goal is worth pursuing if you don’t risk failure. Failure weeds out those who lack passion, resilience, and drive; without it, success means nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment